I’m 99% free from migraines!
The most interesting thing I’ve learned is how to moderate what I eat and not feel as if I am missing out. It’s so obvious and! I’ll get to that in a moment.
Since January 1st, I’ve:
- Monitored what I’ve consumed
- Moderated meat and fatty foods
- Vastly reduced the amount of chocolate and alcohol
- Consumed at least 3 litres of water a day – don’t guess it measure it otherwise you won’t drink enough!
This has helped reduce my headaches enormously, but I’ve found out other, non-food related tactics that also help.
A low-pressure system, i.e. a storm, will give me a headache (I’ve always known this can set me off, but a friend reminded me of it recently.)
If I over-heat I will get a headache. This could be working in 35 degree heat, but at a recent house-sit I took a dip in their pool. They heat their water via the sun – and it was like getting in a bath. While it felt pleasant, not long after I suffered from a headache – I felt it come on as my body warmed up.
How to manage my migraines
- Keep cool – this means not only plenty of water to replace what I’ve lost (in additional to the three litres if doing physical work) but also pouring water on my wrists and neck, and even my head – cooling down properly, reducing my body temperature.
- Plenty of water – 3 litres a day and much more if doing physical work.
- Eat well – when I say I have reduced my meat intake, I try not to have it more than once a week and in this I am not including fish as meat. I eat a lot of fish. I’ve lost weight and feel great. The main reason for doing this was to help my digestive system. I am an A+ blood type, which means I can process carbohydrates much easier than meat.
- Stress – I have become adept at Choosing Happiness! It works – choose to be happy and content and you are. I also have a way of dealing with jobs that I don’t like. Recently I’ve been painting the interior of our caravan; it’s a fiddly, messy job (I am a messy painter). But as soon as I find myself losing my cool with it all, I remind myself, “at some point you will not be able to do this – so enjoy it while you can!” It works! I appreciate my health and energy.
UnravelTravel is my travel brand for gifts – take a look here… Choose Happiness is just one theme…
Vastly reducing my chocolate intake has helped. I try to stick to dark chocolate if the urge becomes too strong. Milk chocolate is almost an instant trigger (if eating a good quantity – a taste now and then is okay).
What I came to realise
Food is connected with happiness. I don’t think I’ve been as happy as I am now. When things haven’t gone right I know I comfort eat. Now, as I am so content food is become just a fuel, something to keep me going – not something to indulge in – mostly…
Drinking a lot of water fills me up. So I eat less, keep hydrated, not only does this combats headaches it helps my skin too.
I am feeling great and looking great, even if I say so myself!
So, after just a few months of monitoring my intake, stress levels and body temperature, I feel I am in control. I am never without my stainless steel water container and constantly sip from it throughout the day – ensuring I consume at least 3 litres. (Mug can be purchased here.)
THIS IS KEY!
HAVING A NICE MUG/DRINKING VESSEL MEANS I KEEP IT WITH ME AND
CONSTANTLY SIP THROUGHOUT THE DAY!
My head has never felt so clear – ever – in my life! So that is a remarkable breakthrough.
Someone recommended I take Magnesium for migraines, but also for many other health benefits. So I am giving that a go as well.
Any questions or advice needed (or offered), please drop me a line.