Jackie Parry – author

Rain Catcher

4 Comments

A self-sufficient life-style is one of the big attractions to living on a boat. On our last boat, a sailboat, we rigged a rather simple and effective dam on the deck, near the water inlet for the tank – it worked a treat.

On our barge, Noel and I have much work to do. But, first we want to install solar panels and rig up a rain catcher. The solar panels have already stirred-up our creative minds in the way of being able to raise and lower the ‘fixed’ panels; more on that another day.

I started the rain catcher project a few days ago. I needed to sand and paint the wheelhouse roof, but it was raining, so I turned my attention to the down-pipes, first.

Gold coloured 'down-pipe' to carry the water from the wheelhouse roof down to our water tanks (where lock is)

Gold coloured ‘down-pipe’ to carry the water from the wheelhouse roof down to our water tanks (where lock is)

Here you can see that someone has thoughtfully installed down pipes from the roof. We have odd and ends of plastic doohdads to extend the pipe to reach the tank. However, the down-pipes are in need of a rather good scrub.

Pipe and brushes

Pipe and brushes

Here are the weapons for the cleaning job. But I had to figure out how to ‘fix’ the brush onto the plastic (chimney-sweep gear?) pipe.

Searching in the engine room for the right sized nut.

Searching in the engine room for the right sized nut.

We found a nut (well noel did)

This nut fits on the male end of my plastic pipe and therefore if I use the nut as a die, and make a thread on the cleaning brush handle, I could screw them together.

Brush on left with filed down handle and thread.

Brush on right with filed down handle and thread.

I had to file down the end of the cleaning brushes first.

Then slowly ease on the nut (backwards and forwards) and make the thread.

Tahh - darrrr!

Tahh – darrrr!

Finally it all came together, the thread idea worked a treat – so far!

Back up (original sized brush) - and trimmed brush!

Back up (original sized brush) – and trimmed brush!

Then I had to trim the brush, as it is a bit wide for the pipe

DSC_0077

And voila – first stage of the water-catcher complete. 

Stage two coming soon . . .

Advertisements

Author: jackieandnoel

Author and Traveller

4 thoughts on “Rain Catcher

  1. Clever you, Jackie!! Pretty nice engine room, Noel.

    Like

  2. Brilliant idea ! X

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s